Thursday, July 7, 2011

Howdy Friends

The past three weeks have been wonderful.

I am thankful to finally have access to a computer
so I can share some of it.

Thank you for the emails ...
thank you for the increase of Facebook friendships.

Thank you for your love and patience, and understanding.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Life is such an adventure, such a blessing.

Especially mine.

My middle miracle and I loaded a 17' truck
by ourselves on the 15th of June.

It took us all day, and we didn't get on the road
until 8:30 that night.

I had wanted to see the scenery of the beautiful drive
down, and out, of the mountains
... but, it wasn't meant to be.

I drove that big truck, exhausted, well into the night
and didn't stop until 3:30 am for a soft bed in Arkadelphia.

We allowed ourselves to sleep in, and didn't hit the road
 the next morning until 10 or so.

As soon as we crossed the Texas border, we stopped at the FIRST
mexican restaurant we saw.

And we chewed through our giggles ... savoring every bite.

I think we made it to Fort Worth around 6:00 pm.

My youngest miracle laughed and sang the whole trip.

The next day, Friday the 17th, we unloaded the 17' truck
into an all-metal storage unit surrounded by asphalt and concrete.

106 degrees, with a heat index of who knows.

We were already burnt, and sore, and whooped, from the loading
... I don't have to describe the unloading, do I?

We didn't get to a cool place, and a soft bed, until 9:30 that night.

Saturday, the 18th, I hugged my girls good-bye as they headed west to Abilene
to spend their summer with family.

Mama had a mission:
to find a home and to find a job.

Sunday I called my father to let him know how much I admired him,
and then I recuperated.

Monday, June 20th, I hit the streets ... literally.

I still had no car, but still had lots of determination.

The first place I walked into, about a half-mile from where I was staying,
I was blessed with a temp job as a waitress.

Coincidentally, they were short-staffed at a very inopportune time
... pre-scheduled parties and such ...
and me walking into the door was a blessing for them.

I smiled, within, knowing
"Who Really IS in Control of Doors."

((( smile )))

So I was thrown into the fray the following Tuesday and Wednesday ...
thankful for my past restaurant experience, and thankful for the generous tips,
and thankful for being able to lend a hand ...
and I left knowing I could stay, if I needed/wanted to.

The staff was entirely Hispanic ... most, if not all, spoke no English.

But they took me under their wing with love, and their smiles
were genuine.

Reaching all the way up to their eyes.

And they fed me well.

I have never seen such a well-run kitchen, and I've been in many.

Language was our only barrier ... shame on me for not finishing
all of my Spanish courses in college.

(Not that I really had control of that time in my life, but I digress.)

I want them to know I love them, and appreciate them ...
I think my demeanor conveyed that.

Maybe language was not so much a barrier after all.


If you want good "mescan" food, and are in Fort Worth,
go to Oscar's on Old Denton Highway.

Be patient with the staff, and their limited ability to commmunicate
... and their seeming cluelessness ...
but enjoy your meal knowing the precious people in the back
take enormous pride in cooking for you.

So ...anyway, again ...
 it is Friday, June 24th, and  I am back on the streets,
and knocking on doors.

I walked and walked and walked.

In the heat of the day.

Sometimes dressed in black slacks, and sometimes dressed in skirts.

On Thursday, June 30, I suffered a serious case of heat exhaustion.

Some say it was an actual heat stroke.

Surely, it wasn't ... but I don't know.

I don't recall much ... all I know is that I stopped sweating, and went cold,
and then I blacked out.

That's really all I remember.

I don't remember fainting, or falling, or being tended to.

I don't remember telling everyone I was okay
... really, thank you, but I am okay.

I don't remember vomiting ...
so forcefully my contact somehow managed to scratch my eyeball.

(At first I thought I had bursted a blood vessel in my eye,
but it couldn't be that since the redness has gone down ... but
the eyeball still feels bruised and tender.)

One day I walked, at best guesstimate, four miles away from my starting point
... which means, with a four mile trek BACK, it was an eight-mile day.

I blanketed, and canvassed, for a job the old-fashioned way.

And I met so many nice people.

Needless to say, I spent the next few days resting.

Actually, I am still resting.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today is Wednesday, July 7th.

It will take another post to cover what all has happened this past week
since the heat exhaustion incident.

I just wanted to let all of you know that we are alive, and still
facing life with optimism, and thankfulness.

As far as doors opening ...
one by one, they began flying open as soon as I quit knocking.

Or, maybe, as soon as I myself was knocked down.

I love you all.


  1. AWESOME! So glad to have yall back in TEXAS! No need for me to tell you to take care.

  2. I used to live just north of Fort Worth, a little south of Justin. I hear things have really changed in that area since I left for Cut & Shoot, TX. Hope you like the area and find just what you are looking for. I was hoping to see more of the hay bail garden.

  3. Hope things start going better for you.

  4. Sounds like a heat stroke to me and once you have one it is easier to have another..Be careful! Glad your home..

  5. Mama Crow - you take care now.

  6. My goodness you have been going through a lot. I wish you and your girls the best. I know better things are coming your way.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...