Thursday, March 11, 2010

Homemade Vanilla Extract

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~  
I make my own vanilla extract for baking!  It makes such a difference in homemade cookies ... and in, well, everything! The process is long, but soooooooooo worth it. (also easy)


I use:



1 bottle of vodka 
6 organic vanilla beans

Slice the vanilla beans length-wise ... almost all of the way ... from top to bottom ... I keep them connected at the one end  ... don't ask why, I just do.

Drop the beans into the vodka, and if any of the seeds stuck to your knife you will want to scrape them off and put them into the vodka as well.

Put the lid back on the vodka and put bottle into a dark cabinet that isn't going to experience a lot of temperature changes.  

It needs to sit for 6 months.  

I check it every month to sort of shake it up.  

After 6 months it is ready for use!  

I use this as gifts for people that I know love to bake (I get dark brown bottles and pour my extract into it.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...