Monday, February 17, 2014

My Great-Aunt Bea

I would like to tell y'all about my fondest memory of Great-Aunt Bea.

If you know me from my old blog, and my previous online presence, you know that I am a big advocate of holistic health.  Aunt Bea was the first one to introduce me to home remedies ... and I've been fascinated ever since. She taught me to have an open mind.



Bea was a petite lady, very poised, and easily admired for her gentle nature and kindness to all.  She was a dedicated Christian, and played the organ for years at her church. She spoke in a soothing whisper.

One mid-February day, about this time of year, not too long before she died, I went to visit her .... I had heard she was lonely and no one visited her much anymore.

Of course, it brightened up the cold, dreary day for her when her doorbell rang and she saw me grinning there.

It brightened up the blah-day for my Self too.

While we were visiting, I kept taking in her small living room ... all the flowers, all the photographs, all the delicate figurines, all the lace and pink accents ... but I was always drawn to her organ.

I asked Aunt Bea if she would play for me.

She was so happy making her way to the majestic, old organ and sitting down at it, and waiting for it to warm up ... she patted the small space next to her on the bench, and motioned for me to come join her.

Aunt Bea was already going into a flowy introduction to an old, moving gospel song when I noticed a translucent, ivory-colored floppy-looking thing draped over the shelf part of the organ that holds the sheet music .... what in the world!?!?

"Aunt Bea? What is that."

She nodded her head up and down, smiling with her eyes happy-wide, and exclaimed, waving it in the air, "Oh yes! Isn't it wonderful? It really works. But I doubt it would help you though. You don't have an organ."

"What is it."

Aunt Bea went on to describe how she was walking her little Pomeranian through the park across the street a few months ago, and found a little squishy square packet on the ground. She placed it in her pocket, and looked it over real good later when she got home and got Flossy fed. She recanted how the directions said to place it on the organ, and it would help prevent the spread of disease.

I could feel the tips of my ears pulsing ... my face had to have been so very red ... it was hot, and I was horrified.

"Aunt Bea I don't think that is what it is for. At all."

I will never forget the look on her face.

"Oh, no, sweet child, it is. Do you know I haven't had the flu all winter!"

I, literally, fainted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...